School District Goals for 2013-2014
I. Communication/Community Relations
We will continue to improve communication within the district to staff, parents, employees and the community, as well as outreaching to legislators to advocate for our needs. Key components include:Review the 3-year Strategic Plan and publish an annual school district report card to enhance community relations and communications, to include an annual year-end summary of achievement.
- Include teaching and learning highlights and new student involvement initiatives at each regularly scheduled school committee meeting.
- Continue to strengthen and enhance the home-school connection, including full utilization of school/district websites, PowerSchool, and NutriKids, allowing parents to better monitor student progress, assignments, grades, and student dietary choices.
- Update parents and the community on the maintenance status and conditions of all school buildings and grounds.
- Continue to maintain collaborative relations with legislative leaders and continue efforts to enhance Chapter 70 funding and monitor charter school funding formula.
- Update parents and the community on the district’s comprehensive wellness program including food service enhancement.
II. Student Achievement
Through a series of initiatives, we will continue to enhance opportunities for students to reach higher levels of achievement. Key components include:
- Review and assess the goals in the updated Technology Plan and the implications for academic achievement and budgetary considerations. Update in fall 2013 and spring 2014.
- Review student achievement data through annual updates of Foxborough Public Schools “Baselines and Benchmarks” report. Update by November 2013.
- Monitor progress and pursue new opportunities for enrichment and challenge with associated review of budgetary impact. Update in December 2013.
- Continue to assess the effectiveness of special education programs. Monitor inclusion practices district-wide that promote achievement goals in literacy, mathematics, and behavior management. Provide annual update in March 2014.
- Continue guidance services at all levels which best support academic achievement, with School Committee review of career planning opportunities and school-to-work life skills.
- Continue the curriculum review cycle to support student achievement and to ensure alignment with state and national standards. Progress report annually.
III. Financial Management
We will continue to ensure that the budget provides for the achievement of all students in the district while maintaining fiscal responsibility.
- Ensure the budget adequately supports the district’s mission, vision and goals.
- Review monthly budget reports and take appropriate actions.
- Continue to meet and collaborate with municipal and legislative leaders on fiscal matters.
- Continue to work with municipal officials in support of town financial plans.
- Continue to work with Massachusetts School Building Authority (MSBA) and the community to articulate the needs for the renovation of all schools in the district.
- Appoint a budget subcommittee to monitor budget development.
IV. Policy Development
The School Committee will review, approve, and maintain the policy book developed in conjunction with the Massachusetts Association of School Committees (MASC).
- By April 2014, review the policy manual when MASC advises of potential policy changes. With the help of MASC, we will update individual policies when needed or required by district or legislative mandate.
- Appoint a policy subcommittee to monitor ongoing changes in policy per MASC.
V. Superintendent’s Performance
Recognizing the value of the Superintendent’s role in leading a high-performing school district, the School Committee will:
- Support the Superintendent in the implementation of strategy for systemic improvement, the ongoing oversight of the Massachusetts Educator Evaluation System, and the ongoing development of a high functioning leadership team.
- Evaluate Superintendent’s performance and complete the School Committee overall composite evaluation by June 2014, and conduct public evaluation by July 2014.